Tomato brown rugose fruit virus (ToBRFV) can have a significant economic impact on commercial tomato production due to reduced crop quality and yield. First identified in Israel 2014, ToBRFV now affects tomato crops throughout Europe and the USA.
ToBRFV symptoms of infection include:
- Mosaics (loss of green or pale patches) can develop on the leaves.
- Leaves can be crumpled and narrowed.
- Tomato fruit can be discoloured and undersized with a brown wrinkled rugose surface.
- Necrotic spots may appear on leaves, flower and tomato fruit abortion can occur
In Sicily, Italy, where ToBRFV is prevalent among commercial tomato production crops, OMEX Agrifluids has applied a Zynergy drip and foliar application programme to help suppress the ToBRFV virus. By drip at 1.0 l/ha every week (in hydroponic) or 2.0 l/ha every week (standard), followed by a foliar application of 1.0 l/ha every week.
OMEX Zynergy is a unique complex of copper and zinc formulated to optimise nutrient uptake by the plant. Both copper and zinc play a part in the metabolism of plants. A key role of both nutrients is to support the crop’s immune systems. Part of zinc’s function is in maintaining the integumentary system of the plant, which affects skin elasticity, wound healing, and disease suppression. Copper forms part of the phenolic compounds used by plants to suppress infection.
As seen in the pictures below. As a result of an OMEX Zynergy drip & foliar treatment, after 1 week the tomato plant showed:
- Large leaves with less rugose compared to before the treatment.
- New leaves didn’t show the ToBRFV leaf symptoms.
- New flowers and fruit clusters forming.
- Less fruit abortion.
For full product information click here: